St Mary, Tysoe
St Mary in Tysoe is within the Archdeaconry of Warwick in the Diocese of Coventry.
The parish church of St Mary consists of a chancel, nave, and south porch-tower.
The nave dates from the 12th century, but the only remaining architectural feature is the north doorway, which was re-discovered and opened out in the 19th century. The east halves of the side walls are probably original: on the north side this half leans outwards, but the west half has been rebuilt plumb vertical, probably when the clearstory was added in the 15th century, the 12th-century doorway being reset, so that although the eaves line is flush throughout there is a difference of 10 in. inside (at floor-level) and outside at the base.
The chancel was rebuilt in the 13th century and seems to have been lengthened eastwards at the end of the same century and larger windows than the original lancets provided. The south tower was an addition of c. 1340 but it was probably later in the century that the top was completed.
There was a large restoration of the building in 1879 at a cost of £2,000, when the walls were stripped of plaster and external cement, the west and the southwest walls of the nave rebuilt and new roofs provided.
|Priest in Charge||Vacant|
|Associate Minister||Rev'd Martin Leaton||01295 680201|
|PTO||Rev'd Canon Tom Moffatt|
|PTO||Rev'd Canon George Warner|
|Church Warden||Mark Gummer|
|Church Warden||Jill Longbottom||01295 680236|