St Mary, Preston on Stour and Atherstone on Stour
St Mary in Preston on Stour is within the Archdeaconry of Warwick in the Diocese of Coventry.
The tower and nave are mostly the original late medieval work but with significant remodelling in 1752-64 (by Edward Woodward of Chipping Campden) The chancel was entirely rebuilt at this time. Inside the chancel are several wall-mounted monuments of 17th & 18th century date, but it is the stained glass which takes centre stage, with a magnificent collection of Continental roundels in the east window, and two superb and extremely unusual side windows by Joshua Price c1750, with standing saints flanked by an eccentric collection of portrait medallions.
There is further notable glass in the west window under the tower, which seems to be indigenous work of 15th & 16th century dates, possibly original to the church, though sadly difficult to see without special access to the bell ringing chamber.
The cast iron frame and the fittings are by James E. Groves of Birmingham, 1923-4, though with wooden headstocks. Perfectly ringable, though perhaps some stiff pullies and a little frame movement is evident. The bells were quarter turned in 1923/4 when they were rehung in a new cast iron frame with new fittings by James E. Groves of Birmingham. The treble alone retains its cable patterned canons, it being slightly flat in relation to the other two. The bells have all been quarter turned.
|Priest in Charge||Revd Chris Goble||01608 682280|
|Associate Minister||Revd Sarah Edmonds||01608 662156|
|Church Warden||Andrew Holman West|
|Church Warden||Phil Grellier||01789 450664|