Oxhill

 

 

St Lawrence, Oxhill

St Lawrence in Oxhill is within the Archdeaconry of Warwick in the Diocese of Coventry.

The Church of Oxhill is dedicated to St. Lawrence, a deacon of the early church who was martyred in 258. It is said that when he was ordered to produce the treasures of his church, he displayed the beggars in his care, and in retribution he was roasted slowly on a gridiron, apparently giving off a sweet smell of holiness during his ordeal. Although now rather an obscure saint, he seems to have enjoyed a degree of popularity in Warwickshire. Nikolaus Pevsner's book on 'Warwickshire' mentions over a dozen other Warwickshire churches with a similar dedication. St. Lawrence's Feast Day is on August 10th, and until the early 1930s Oxhill Wake (a small fair) was held in the week following the Feast.

Both nave and chancel date from the mid-twelfth century, but there has been considerable repair over the centuries, as well as the insertion of additional windows. At the end of the nineteenth century, extensive restoration was undertaken by the Rector, the Rev. V. H. Macy in two stages - to the chancel in 1865, and to the nave in 1876 - 78.

 

              Oxhill                        

  

Priest in Charge Vacant  
Associate Minister Revd Martin Leaton 01295 680201
PTO Rev'd Canon Tom Moffatt  
PTO Rev'd Canon George Warner  
Church Warden Carol Fox 01295 680223
Church Warden Charles MacCall 01295 680306
Website http://www.oxhill.org.uk/StLawrence.htm

 

Service Details

1st Sunday
(9.30am) - Parish Communion
2nd Sunday
(8.30am) - Holy Communion
( 6.30pm) - Evensong
3rd Sunday
(9.30am) - Holy Communion
4th Sunday
(9.30am) - Family Service
5th Sunday
(11am) - Benefice Service