St James the Great, Idlicote
St James the Great in Idlicote is within the Archdeaconry of Warwick in the Diocese of Coventry.
The list of known Rectors goes back to1301, and there has been a church on this site for well over eight centuries or more. Inside it remains almost the same as it did in the eighteenth century, with box-pews and a three-decker pulpit.
The walls of the nave are 12th Century, with a Norman doorway which dates from around 1200. The chancel was rebuilt in the second half of the 13th century - see the chancel arch - and the south aisle was added at the same time. This contains the Manorial and Rectory pews. The west gallery was inserted in the seventeenth century, and the south chapel was built in the latter part of the same century as a mortuary chapel for the Underhill family. It contains a carving of the Underhill Arms.
The pulpit with its tester, the communion table and most of the pews are of the 17th century; the door of one pew is hung with late 16th century cock's head hinges; the panelling of the manorial pew and communion rail are early 18th century work. The plain font is mediaeval but is hard to date. It has a late 17th century oak cover with six ogee-shaped brackets with nail-head or jewel ornamentation.
The south chapel also contains a number of memorials to the Peach and Peach Keighley families, some of whom died in the service of the East India Company
|Priest in Charge||Contact
Dr. Revd. Jill Tucker
|AM||Revd Jill Tucker|
|Church Warden||Veronica Brenden||01608 610034|