St John the Baptist, Cherington with Stourton
St John the Baptist Church in Cherington is within the Archdeaconry of Warwick in the Diocese of Coventry.
The Church of England parish church of Saint John the Baptist has many 13th century features, including the Early English Gothic east windows of the chancel and north aisle, one of the south windows of the nave, the arcade of two bays between the nave and north aisle and the lower stages of the bell tower. At the east end of the north aisle, in a piercing in the wall between the aisle and nave, is the effigy from about 1320 of a man in civilian clothes believed to be a Franklin. The upper stages of the tower are 15th century, as are the Perpendicular Gothic clerestorey and present roof of the nave. A large window in the south wall of the nave is also Perpendicular Gothic. The chancel arch was probably built in about 1500 or the early part of the 16th century. Two of the windows in the north wall of the north aisle and the battlements at the top of the bell tower are 18th century additions.
The church tower had three bells until 1842 when one was recast, two more were added to make a ring of five and all were rehung. In 2006 Taylors Eayre and Smith recast one of the 1842 bells, cast another to increase the ring to six and rehung them all.
|Rector||Revd Stuart Allen||01608 684207|
|Associate Minister||Revd. Ben Dyson|
|Church Warden||Valerie Flint||01608 685022|
|Church Warden||Roger Maycock||01608 686404|